Oct 1st, 2012 kicks off the first day of vegetarian awareness month. Non-vegetarians who pledge to give up all meat, fish, and fowl during the month of October will be entered in a random drawing for cash prizes up to $1,000. If that’s too much for you there’s even a drawing for one week ($500), and if that’s still too difficult, try a day and possibly win $250. You and your friends and family members can check out all the details on taking the pledge here http://www.worldvegetarianday.org/pledge-vegwin/
The Vegetarian Society is offering free posters and pledge cards that you can distribute in and around your community to inform others about the benefits of vegetarianism.
For posters and pledge cards: http://www.worldvegetarianday.org/
And more importantly, the group is also offering a four-step plan for getting non-vegetarians in your life to take the meat-free pledge. One step is to tell them about the benefits of meat-free diets using the pledge cards, which list seven major reasons to choose a vegetarian diet.
Those wanting to take the pledge and enter the drawing for cash prizes must do so by Oct. 31.
What do you have to lose? There are so many positive benefits of not eating meat or fish.
- Reduce the risk of major killers such as heart disease, stroke and cancer while cutting exposure to food borne pathogens
- Provide a viable answer to feeding the world’s hungry through more efficient use of grains and other crops
- Save animals from suffering in factory-farm conditions and from the pain and terror of slaughter
- Conserve vital but limited freshwater, fertile topsoil and other precious resources
- Preserve irreplaceable ecosystems such as rain forests and other wildlife habitats
- Decrease greenhouse gases that are accelerating global warming
- Mitigate the ever-expanding environmental pollution of animal agriculture