Legumes are very important in human nutrition because they are higher in protein than any other plant food and the quality of the protein they contain is high as well. Soybeans contain more protein than beef and soy products, such as soy meal and soy flour, and are often used to improve the protein content of commercially prepared foods such as pasta and bread. Because of their protein and iron content and relatively low cost, legumes are excellent meat substitutes for vegetarians and others who choose to cut back on or avoid animal foods for health or economic reasons.
Why should beans be an important part of your diet?
Here are the top 10 reasons why beans should be incorporated into our diet:
10) Beans are an inexpensive source of vegetable protein. They’re cheap. Good source of protein. And they’re not meat-based.
9) They are an excellent source of soluble and insoluble fiber. Dietary fiber is so good for our insides. In a previous article, entitled “Why we need dietary fiber”, the many benefits of fiber are outlined.
8) They are a good source of vitamins and minerals. Beans are an excellent source of thiamin and folate. A good intake of folate is associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular disease in some individuals. Beans are also rich in magnesium, phosphorus, copper, and manganese, and are a good source of potassium, riboflavin, vitamin b6, and contain some calcium and selenium.
7) They are naturally low in sodium.
6) Beans are naturally low in…
View original post 218 more words
One thought on “”